Getting exposed to asbestos is something that shouldn’t be ignored. Now, before heading straight into the facts about asbestos exposure it is important to understand a few basic things about asbestos. This is a material that has a shiny appearance during its natural state. This shiny appearing material was widely popular in the early days used in the construction industry. Moreover, it was also popularly used in making utensils and cooking pots. But the popularity did not last forever since asbestos led to causing serious health issues after research by experts. Now, let’s focus on a few facts about getting exposed to asbestos.
- Asbestos upon entering the body majority of this material often comes out. The problem starts with the small amounts which were being able to enter and then get collected on the lung's surface. On getting accumulated, asbestos is known to cause health issues from mild to severe related to the respiratory system.
- According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, they have revealed that an individual is going to be safe regardless of the amount of asbestos that enters our body.
- Even if an individual has undergone treatment related to asbestos, one cannot guarantee as safe.
- American citizens are facing problems related to asbestos. More than 3000 people are facing this problem and the numbers keep piling up every year.
- The symptoms of asbestos in an individual start to show only after the age of 30. This is a problem since it takes a long time to reveal symptoms.
In the region of Newcastle, asbestos removal should only be carried out by a professional.
Asbestos has a harmless appearance during its natural state. This is a material that was regarded to be highly popular in the early days for its awesome characteristics. Furthermore, you are bound to find this material on rocks, soils, and more. This material is known to come in various types out of which amphibole and chrysotile are the most common.
- Chrysotile The chrysotile asbestos is one of those types that has a spiral or wrapped up appearance under the microscope. Due to this reason, it is also known as serpentine, white, and curly asbestos.
- Amphibole The amphibole asbestos appearance is the opposite of chrysotile comprising of a straight line similar to a needle.
Relationship between cancer and asbestos It is said that asbestos and cancer are a bit similar to each other since swallowing and inhaling are the 2 most common ways of entry to them.
- Via Swallowing When it comes to swallowing, asbestos can easily enter when present on the surface of food and liquid.
- Via Inhaling Inhaling is another portal of entry for asbestos inside our bodies. The reason behind this is because asbestos is a delicate material it can easily get crumbled. When crumbled, this material is released into the atmosphere making it difficult to see with our eyes. Inhaling of asbestos is dangerous because it can cause some serious health issues. In fact, the problem is that symptoms such as difficulty in breathing, chest pains, and others only start to show after a few years once it has managed to enter our body.
At the end of the day, asbestos removal in Newcastle area should be done by a professional.